Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
The Independents Hotel Reservations Ltd (The Independents) operates from their small offices just outside Taunton. We provide our clients with a professional hotel booking service for accommodation and conferences within the UK.
Our core business activities are computer centric. We recognise that whilst our operations result in minimal emissions to air, energy, water and the generation of waste; it is our aim to comply with relevant legislation and other requirements and operate in an environmentally responsible manner.
The Independents are committed in shaping our business in order that we can contribute to a sustainable future for our stakeholders. This policy describes how we will achieve our aim.
This policy applies to all of our operations. All employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met. The Managing Director is responsible for overseeing CSR matters within our organisation.
Our main environmental impact is printing hard copies of confirmations and sending faxes that are printed at the recipients end. However, the following is taken from our Environmental Policy.
We aim to:
- reduce the amount of printed material
- recycle spent ink cartridges
- inform all stakeholders of our commitment to operate in an environmentally responsible manner
- increase the amount of energy saving / efficient computer equipment
To achieve our aims, we have set ourselves the following targets:
- Implement a "Is it really needed" philosophy into the organisation and promote the use of scanners and virtual printing to pdf. This will be achieved through training and staff familiarisation. Timescale: Ongoing
- Continue to return spent ink cartridges to our supplier for recycling. Timescale: Ongoing
- Publish and update our policy and commitment on our website. Timescale: Ongoing
- Ensure that wherever possible, replacement electrical computer goods and other electrical items are energy efficient. Timescale: Ongoing
Monitoring and auditing
Progress against these objectives will be monitored through quarterly management meetings.
Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery
The Independents recognise the importance of a robust disaster recovery procedure in the unlikely event that our offices are affected by nature's elements or power outage. Our Disaster Recovery policy covers the way in which we will operate under these conditions. This policy is stand alone and available on request.
People / Human Resources
Our people are our strength. A safe and happy working environment underpins our ability to offer industry leading customer service levels.
Training: Training is provided internally and is available on request. Additional external training may be offered depending on the context.
Support: A structured hierarchy is in place so that all members of the organisation are able to obtain support.
Activities: Team building and social activities take place during the year and are used in a constructive way in order to give employees the opportunity to feedback their views.
Modern Slavery: We are committed to driving out acts of modern day slavery and human trafficking within our business and our supply chain. Slavery includes; child labour, forced marriage, human trafficking, forced, bonded or involuntary prison labour. See separate policy regarding this.
The Independents are aware of our relations with the community. We have selected two charities to support based on our relationship with our community. CLIC Sargent and the Meningitis Research Foundation are our nominated charities.
Review and Declaration
This policy will be reviewed annually and updated / amended as required.